Your smile is the way you greet the world. But if it’s not as healthy or as white as you would like it to be you may not want to smile. By choosing a whitening treatment, either in surgery or for use at home, you can be assured of powerful yet safe results.
Why consider Teeth Whitening?
- With time and age your teeth have yellowed.
- Your teeth are stained from things like drinking coffee & tea and from smoking.
- You’ve always wanted a beautiful white smile to boost your confidence and self-esteem.
WHAT CAUSES TEETH TO STAIN?
- The natural aging process.
- Smoking, drinking coffee, tea, red wine, and eating pigmented foods such as tomato ketchup, curries, cherries, blueberries etc.
- Build-up of plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Ingesting too much fluoride (more than 2 parts fluoride per millionparts water) when teeth are forming, which gives teeth a “mottled” look.
- Treatment with the antibiotic “Tetracycline” during childhood.
- Trauma to the teeth that may cause a brown, grey or black colour.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
HOW WHITE WILL MY TEETH GO AT THE END OF THE TREATMENT?
This depends on a number of factors and results will vary between patients. Generally speaking, we will get your teeth about 6 to 8 shades whiter than they currently are.
HOW SOON WILL I SEE RESULTS?
Depending on the system used most people see results from the whitening procedure within a couple of days although the in practice systems offer results in approximately 1 hour.
DOES IT HURT TO HAVE YOUR TEETH WHITENED?
It is normal to feel some slight sensitivity both during and after Teeth Whitening. This is because the teeth whitening gel we use helps to open up thousands of tiny ‘tunnels’ in your enamel, which in turn allows the dentine to be penetrated (the dentine is what controls the colour of each tooth). After teeth whitening treatment, it takes about 24 hours for these tunnels to fully close and during this time people can experience some sensitivity when breathing in sharply, or whilst eating very hot or very cold foods. However, most people will only experience mild sensitivity; some experience none whatsoever. A very small percentage of people feel severe sensitivity which can be uncomfortable but will pass without any long term side effects within a few days.
WILL THE TEETH REMAIN PERMANENTLY WHITE?
Results will generally last for 1 to 2 years, sometimes longer. Teeth will always stain due to lifestyle (e.g. drinking lots of tea, coffee, red wine etc), wear and tear and aging but it very easy to top up your teeth whitening at a low cost.
IS THE PROCESS HARMFUL TO TEETH?
Absolutely Not! The effect on teeth is no different to the effect from commonly ingested foods or regular dental procedures.
WILL THE GEL WHITEN CROWNS, VENEERS OR FALSE TEETH?
No. The procedure will only remove intrinsic staining from natural teeth. However, the gel may help remove all extrinsic staining from teeth, including false teeth. This means that your false teeth will appear ‘cleaner’. If you are planning to have a crown, bridge, filling or false tooth, it is recommended that you first have your teeth whitened. We can then match the shade to your new colour.
WHICH SYSTEMS DO WE USE?
Bantry Dental is the only practice in West Cork to offer 1 hour Whitening using the Philips Zoom whitening system:
Philips Zoom! makes a dramatic difference in just one visit.
Philips Zoom! WhiteSpeed – whitens up to 6 shades in 1 hour*
- Our quickest, easiest way to effectively whiten teeth is with Philips Zoom! WhiteSpeed.
- Over 4 million patients worldwide have used Philips Zoom! WhiteSpeed to whiten their teeth.
- Protection from sensitivity – WhiteSpeed contains ingredients which are proven to reduce tooth sensitivity.
- A safe solution – your gums are protected during the procedure with a special cover.
- Unique Philips Zoom! gel formula is EU compliant and conforms to safety regulations.
- The gel is activated using the WhiteSpeed lamp to break down stains and leave teeth up to 6 shades whiter*
- After 4x 15 minute sessions you will receive take home kits to continue your whitening
Prior to the treatment session:
Your dentist will begin with an examination;
- To ensure that the products are suitable for you.
- An impression of your teeth will then be taken to enable customised whitening trays to be made for you to take home.
The treatment session:
- The treatment session for Philips Zoom! Whitening lasts for approximately one hour, however the total consultation may take up to two hours, so make sure you wear comfortable clothes.
- Simply lie back in the chair and ensure that you are comfortable before the treatment starts your dental professional will place a soft silicone mouth guard in your mouth to protect your lips and allow you to rest comfortably during the procedure.
- They will then protect your gums, cheeks and lips so that they can apply the whitening solution safely and comfortably the clinician will then apply the whitening product to your teeth and activate the Philips Zoom! Lamp which is used to activate the whitening solution as part of the procedure.
- They will set the timer for the first of 4 x 15 minute sessions of whitening Relax in the chair – the timer will indicate when the procedure is due to finish
What can I expect to happen when I choose Philips Zoom! Whitening through my dentist?
Boutique Take Home Whitening:
Oral B White strips:
TEETH WHITENING TIPS & AFTERCARE:
To get the best results from having your teeth whitened, we recommend the following:
- Avoid/Limit any dark staining foods or drinks i.e. Tea, Coffee, Red Wine, Coca Cola.
- Avoid/Limit dark foods like bolognaise, beetroot, tomato ketchup, foods with soy sauce, red meat or chocolate. Anything that might leave a stain on a white shirt!
- Avoid Smoking.